Madrid is the capital of Spain, and is home to the Spanish Royal family as well as the Spanish Government. It is a modern metropolitan city and an economical and industrial center of Spain, and, with its population of nearly 3,5 million people, is also the biggest city in Spain. It is located in the centre of the Iberian Peninsula, and is surrounded by mountains and natural parks. Although it is located in the centre of the country, it has traditionally been the hub between different areas of Spain and is therefore connected to all major Spanish cities by train, road or air.
Climate in Madrid
The climate in Spain is diverse, being affected by altitude (Spain is the second most mountainous county in Europe), the sea (the Mediterranean or the Atlantic Ocean) and continental effects (central Spain is in effect in a large land mass).
There is also of course a significant difference between north and South Spain.
Mediterranean Spain has high sunshine levels, from 6 hours per day in the winter to 12 hours per day in summer. Winters are mild - much warmer than central Spain.
Rain is very rare from June to August though the northern Mediterranean coast may be liable to occasional heavy downpours.
In the south, there can occasionally occur a very hot wind from North Africa ( the Leveche) though sea breezes may stop temperatures from rising too high.
Central Spain and the Southern Atlantic coast has a generally low rainfall though winter snow can be heavy on the sierras.
General Information about Madrid
• Currency: Euro
• Spoken Language : Spanish
• Time difference between Oman and Spain : - 3 Hrs
• Best time to visit:
The best time to travel in Spain is spring and fall because that is when good weather occurs. The months of April, May, June, September, and October are very good for travel. Summer is quite hot, especially in inland cities like Seville, Cordoba, and Madrid.
Information about Flights to Madrid
• Flight option: Turkish Airline , Qatar Airways , British Airways
• Approximate flying hours: 10 hrs
• Number of flights in a day : Turkish Airline ( 2 flights ) Via Istanbul
Qatar Airways( 4 flights ) Via Doha
British Airways( 3 flights ) via London
Interesting facts about Madrid
1. Madrid has three art galleries in close proximity called the Golden Triangle, they consist of the Prado which has four thousand works of art including Botticelli, El Bosco, Velazquez and Goya. The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza features works by Renoir and Van Eyck. The Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia completes the triangle, this gallery houses twentieth century Spanish art including Guernica by Picasso.
2. Madrid enjoys more cloudless days than almost any other city in Europe.
3. Madrid has two main railway stations: Chamartín (north) and Atocha (south)
4. The airport of Madrid is called Barajas and is just outside the city.
5. According to FIFA, Real Madrid FC is the world's most successful football club of the 20th century
6. It is the third-largest city in the European Union, after London and Berlin. The city spans a total of 604.3 km2 (233.3 sq mi).
Visa regulations to Spain
Visa prior to arrival for Omanis for all the Nationalities through the BLS as per the below link or Schengan Visa